Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:16:55 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wdtimeout() status 58 (wdunwedge failed)

Patrick Seal wrote:

> Thanks, I'm cvsup'ing current right now, later today I'll grap stable and
> see if the error occurs.  Could reformating fix anything?
>
> thanks again,

Don't think so, but it's worth a try... Modern IDE's do actually do block
reallocation (to map failed blocks to spare areas on the disk), there a little
'behind the scenes' in how they do this though...

Some of the manufacturers (western-digi springs to mind) have utils on their
website which will tell you how many bad blocks etc. the drive has (but their
very specific to the manufacturer)

Try formatting - but if your going to continue using the drive, make sure your
doing backups of any critical data...

-Kp