Date:      07 Apr 1998 21:02:12 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        Dan Williams <dan@bigw.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network cards

Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > I have recently put together a FreeBSD machine, and had some problems with
> > networking.  First, I had 2.2.2 on it, and used an Infotek NE2000
> > compatible network card.  Everything was connected fine, and link lights
> > wer glowing.  But the device timed out, as in ed1: kenel/device timeout.
> > This happened with a number of different NE2000 compatible cards.
>
> Hm, ed1. Is this a PCI card?  Check that the interrupt it's getting
> assigned isn't being hogged by another device.

You haven't talked about the configuration of this card.  I have a
handful of ne2000's that don't do a damn thing either and i've lost
the booklets to set their irqs and base addrs.  i guess this is a
stupid thing to say, but are you sure you have it all set up
correctly?  and the line in your kernel config?

> > Next, I put on 2.2.5 with a 3Com 3C509.  This was connected, but there was
> > no link light on the hub it was connected to.  It also froze the machine
> > when running an Ifconfig on the ep0 driver.  We are running 10BaseT.

Same...

Also are these pnp cards?  you might want to disable pnp on these
cards.  Often I need to do this to get the cards recognized.  Also,
what does dmesg say?  Did it successfully probe the cards??

--

Steve Farrell