Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:03:01 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        purebeef@shaw.wave.ca, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using 1 machine (a FreeBSD one) to connect 2 pcs to the net via

At 12:27 PM 7/22/98 -0400, purebeef@shaw.wave.ca wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>  I have been trying to get one of our pc's (my son's), who uses windows
to be
>able to play starcraft. Unfortunately, when he connects to battle.net he gets
>message about udp packets which are failing.
>
>  My configuration is 1 pc with 2 nic cards. One nic card is connected
directly
>to the cable modem. The other nic card is connected to the hub. Finally,
he is
>connected to the hub also. Would anyone know what is causing the udp packets
>fail? I have in rc.conf, the firewall set to "open" and am using dhcpc as
well
>as natd. However, not being well versed on the above two programs, I
wonder if
>they are not set up right for this.

It has to do with how natd learns to redirect packets and the way battle.net
opens connections. If you search the freebsd-questions archive, you'll
probably
find a message or two which specifies the exact port you need to
'-redirect_port' with natd, as per natd's manpage (i remember seeing two posts
about it a few months ago). If an archive search doesn't help, run tcpdump and
see at which port battle.net is trying to connect to your gateway machine.

BTW, this is a questions for -questions, not -newbies. See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/eresources:charters.html

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org