Date:      24 Nov 1999 19:48:53 +0100
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   French accents and man

Hi,

I'm currently working on a french translation of FBSD man pages as
part of the French Docproj and i have a pb with man : i've still not
found how to configure it to display letters with accents.

Say :

% export LANG=fr_FR.ISO_8859-1
% export MANPATH=/home/jaco/Travail/Man

If i do a  :

% groff -t -T latin1 -mandoc < btreeop.1 | more

the page is displayed with its accents.

but :

% man btreeop

display without accents.

I know that this latter command runs groff but i've don't find how to
force groff to use latin1 encoding rather than plain ascii.

I've tried also :

% man -t 1 btreeop > btreeop.ps

and, of course, the output file is ok. So, it seems the problem comes
from my ignorance to force groff to use latin1...

('man man' doesn't answer my question, or i need to change my
screen... ;-)

Any pointer, rtfms, ?
--
Eric Jacoboni
               Ta mère, son mot de passe c'est « toto » !