Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:48:28 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>
To:        <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Apache, MySQL,PHP4 and FP extensions - Help

I've had some sketchy success in doing this (3 out of 5 tries so far) and
fortunately for you, I've had those 3 successes on clean-installs as opposed
to upgrades of existing machines. I'm no expert in this but I did get a
<?php_info(); ?>as well as all the Frontpage Extensions to work.

The only variance for me is that I was using the mod_ssl version of Apache.
I would assume that you could use the base apache to try.

I will use fp2002/apache13-modssl for the example.

download the fp50-install targz file from Microsoft/RTR, we'll say you put
it in /home/username/fp/fp50-install.tar.gz

#cd /home/username/fp
#tar -zxvf fp50-install.tar.gz
#cd /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl
#make

hit CTRL-C when the configure starts to run...that's the part where it
starts saying "Checking for .....: yes" a few dozen times. So far, it will
have downloaded and patched the apache source. Now we'll add the frontpage
stuff.

open the Makefile with your favorite editor and change the line that says
--enable-module=define
to read
--enable-module=define \
--add-module=mod_frontpage.c

Now we'll go into the build directory:
#cd work/apache13....(whatever extra version stuff)/
and then:
#cp /home/username/fp/frontpage/version5.0/apache-fp/fp-patch-apache_1.3.x
./
#patch -p0 < fp-patch-apache_1.3.x
Now I found that apache 1.3.20 worked with the 1.3.19 patch.

Now we're ready to let it finish building so
#make install clean

Please be sure to not have a httpd.conf in /usr/local/etc/apache or else it
probably will not replace it, keeping the server from working.

Now we're ready to get the php working so
#cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php
#make install clean
After that finishes, we should have a working php & frontpage httpd,
however, we still have to install the base copy of the extensions. So now
#cp /usr/local/sbin/httpd /home/username/
which will save us a copy of the working httpd. (although you won't be able
to start it at this point). To verify, type
#/usr/local/sbin/httpd -l
which should reply to you with the modules that the daemon has in it..it
should look like this:

Compiled-in module:
	http_core.c
	mod_so.c
	mod_frontpage.c
suexec: disabled; invalid wrapper /usr/local/sbin/suexec

Which shows you that mod_frontpage.c made it in there. Now run the fp
install script, directing it to your /usr/local/sbin/httpd and
/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf. It will make the appropriate changes and
replace the httpd daemon with the cruddy one that they pre-compile for you.
Install the root web but no others. When it's done:
#cp /home/username/httpd /usr/local/sbin/httpd
which will put your mod_frontpage version back in place. Cross your fingers
and then:
#rehash
#apachectrl start

If all goes well, you'll be up and running. The only thing that may snag you
is a "httpd: text-file busy" which means that you forgot to "apachectrl
stop" and whatever was unable to write the new daemon out cause it was
running.

Good luck, and let me know if I missed anything =)
John Straiton
ClickCom, Inc.
jks@clickcom.com