Date:      Fri, 4 May 2012 20:53:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Raoul MXgXlas <rmgls@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no ptX device found

On Thu, 3 May 2012, Raoul MXgXlas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I dislike crossposting, but i have had no reply for this problem.
> Please have you any doc on this topic, i does not find
> anythikng in the man pages, nor in UPDATING.
> see below, the message posted on current.
>

> On current, since about 3 months, no pty device is created.
> i see only a pts[0] in dev.
> screen (4.0.1, we cannot use a higher version, for good raisons)
> does not find any pty device and does not attach.
> How can i create at least one?
>
> my ttys seems to have no effect. I am pretty sure i miss somemthing.
> In another hand, i see nothing in the man pages on this topic.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Please see the commit message for svn r233271:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
SVN rev 233271 on 2012-03-21 08:38:42Z by ed

Remove pty(4) from our kernel configurations.

As of FreeBSD 8, this driver should not be used. Applications that use
posix_openpt(2) and openpty(3) use the pts(4) that is built into the
kernel unconditionally. If it turns out high profile depend on the
pty(4) module anyway, I'd rather get those fixed. So please report any
issues to me.

The pty(4) module is still available as a kernel module of course, so a
simple `kldload pty' can be used to run old-style pseudo-terminals.

-Ben Kaduk