Date:      Sun, 21 May 1995 00:28:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4gig drive for $1099

> NCA in Sunnyvale, Ca., has a special for 4gig quantum disk drives for
> $1099 .
>
> I almost feel morally obligated to buy one :)

Is this the Grand Prix?  I wouldn't touch one with a stick.  I've
purchased about 7 of these drives in the last 4 months and 5 of them
are already dead.  After the 3rd one croaked I stopped replacing them
and exchanged them forSeagate Hawk drives, all of which have been
working flawlessly.  I know that WC has some static problems that
tends to kill equipment before its time, but this problem has NOT been
seen with the Barracuda or Hawk drives, all of which live in the same
environment, so I think that this is statistically significant.  It's
a pity, since I *really liked* the GP, it just seems like Quantum is
having some rather severe quality control problems with them.

						Jordan