Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:36:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question about 2 subnets on the same switch.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I recently got ADSL from pacbell and I have a weird problem that
> I have found a fix for, however i think the fix is a hack.
>
> pacbell gave me a /29 subnet (btw, only 5ip addresses stinks...)

Considering you only need one, that's pretty liberal. :)

> my goal was to still have ipfw filtering through my router/firewall
> (freebsd 4.0 that i keep quite current)
>

>  ____________      ____________        ______________
> | ADSL modem |----| Fbsd Bridge|------|100mbit switch|
> `------------'    `------------'      `--------------'
>              ^    ^            ^        |||      |||
>              |    |            |      192.168   real IPs
>   216.99.74.57    |    216.99.74.58
>   (gw address)    |       (xl0)
>                 no ip
>                 (de0)

                  ^^^^^ Er?  Shouldn't this be 216.99.74.57, or is PacBell
running their ADSL boxes in routing mode?

> the Bridge is running the net.link.ether.bridge + bridge_ipfw sysctls
> to forward packets, note that the de0 interface on the bridge doesn't
> have an IP address....

Ah, dummynet... I haven't set this up so you're on your own.

Unless the inside machines need the real IPs _BADLY_, I suggest running
natd on the FreeBSD box and running the entire network using 192.168.*.
This will save you money since you don't need thse static IPs.

Doug White