Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:00:22 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        bmcgover@cisco.com (Brian McGovern)
Subject:   Re: "double fault" message

As Brian McGovern wrote:

> I'm doing some kernel hacking, and my device driver is now getting the
> messge 'panic: double fault', and rebooting. Can anyone let me know
> what a 'double fault' is, so I can go looking for it? Thanks.

Well, it's two faults in a row.  But you already knew this, did you?
:-)

I think it might happen if you trash the kernel stack.  The fault
handler than attempts to run on this stack again, and triggers another
fault.  This will finally call the double fault handler, which i
believe runs on its own small stack.

--
cheers, J"org