Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2007 07:53:24 -0500
From:      "Brian A Seklecki (Mobile)" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        Sean McAfee <smcafee@collaborativefusion.com>, Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.com>, Benjie Chen <benjie@addgene.org>, "freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERC5 (LSI MegaSAS) Patrol Read crashes

> If Patrol Reads are marketing bullshit, what do you use? consistency

If a block is bad, a block is bad.  The disk has a certain number of
spares.  Those are automatically allocated by the disk underneath the
controller.

When that compliment is exhausted, then _THE DISK IS BAD_.  A single bad
sector on a RAID volume component disk means that you need to _REPLACE
THE DISK_.  When a controller finds a bad sector, that disk should be
moved to degraded state.  Period.

As for the idea of randomly finding and fixing parity errors while the
OS is running... hardware or otherwise related, that just sounds like a
bad idea to me.

I prefer the CMU RAIDFrame / GMirror approach:

You check the volume at start-up.  You search for records of a graceful
shutdown on both components.  If you _don't_ find them, you run a full
parity check.

The volume is then parity-clean until it is shutdown ungracefully.

How could the parity be found to be bad while the OS is running if there
are no bad components or other hardware events?? ( And why does the
PERC5 (and for that matter, the PERC4) never scan parity at startup? )

I asked Dell two year ago and never got an answer.  Until then, FreeBSD
Gmirror is still a perfectly valid option.

> The way I see it, until manufacturers such as Dell and HP start fully
> supporting FreeBSD, the mentioned problems will never go away

They don't have to "Support FreeBSD".  Thats our job.  What they need to
do is work with OEM component vendors who don't consider kernel-hardware
interface I.P.  See OpenBSD.