Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 09:12:29 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vnconfig + swap with sparse files

> Indeed, I did not expect the pager to swap to my sparse file -- I expected
> the file to become un-sparse as it went along.

Even if you *could* make this work, would you want to?  From my experience
years ago using a NeXTSTEP computer with a Mach OS which generally *only* used
swapfile, you want to preallocate the file.  This gives the filesystem the
opportunity to make better (and perhaps continguous or within the same CG)
block allocation.

In fact, the installation procedure allocated the swapfile very early on in
the software installation process before the disk space became fragmented.
On the NeXT, they used a dedicated program rather than dd as suggested before,
mostly because they didn't have a /dev/zero I think.

That being said, the NeXTSTEP OS did dynamically grow the swapfile as required,
and when the system was booted, it truncated the file at some pre-configured
size.  The "holy grail" that everyone wanted was the ability of the OS to
contract a swapfile it had grown beyond it's initial (preallocated) size, but
as far as I know, this never happened.

louie