Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:35:16 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        fbsd_user <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: what is diff between pkg_delete & make deinstall

--ikeVEW9yuYc//A+q

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 02:04:06PM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> I see that pkg_delete will delete an port as well as an package.=20

Ports and pkgs are different sides of the same coin.

> Does pkg_delete do the same thing as the make deinstall command?

Almost exactly the same.  The difference is that pkg_delete(1) will
delete packages by matching the name and version number stored in
/var/db/pkg, whereas make deinstall deletes the all packages installed
=66rom a particular ports directory where the same $PREFIX setting was
used to install as is currently in force.  Unless you're in the habit
of installing multiple copies of ports/pkgs using different $PREFIX
settings, that generally comes out to be the same thing.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way