Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 23:27:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      softweyr@xmission.com
To:        "Teddy Wang" <teddy@usa1.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with User PPP and Dynamic IP assignment

Teddy Wang writes:
 > In the /etc/hosts file:
 > 127.0.0.1		localhost
 > 204.249.255.200		teddy.usa1.com teddy
 >
 > I made up the number for teddy.usa1.com because my local provider will
 > dynamically assign me an IP.

Remove it, you don't need it.

 > In the /etc/sysconfig file:
 > network_interfaces="lo0 tun0"
 > ifconfig_lo0="inet localhost"
 > ifconfig_tun0="inet teddy.usa1.com 204.249.224.1 netmask 0xffffffff"

You don't need to ifconfig tun0, the ppp daemon will do it for you.
Remove tun0 from the network_interfaces list, and the ifconfig_tun0 line.

 > User PPP dials successfully when I type:
 >
 > ppp> dial simplesite
 >
 > But the connection won't let me route to the world until I type:
 >
 > PPP> add 0 0 HISADDR

Edit /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup to look like mine:

#
# In all cases (since we've only got one) add his address as default
# gateway.  This has the added benefit of making *any* packet routed
# off our network redial the link.  Of course, this makes casual
# name lookups expensive.
#
MYADDR:
 delete 0 0
 add 0 0 HISADDR

This will remove the default route and add 'his' address as the
default route each time the PPP link comes up.

 > My netstat -r after user ppp:
 >
 > Internet:
 > Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
 > Expire default            cs1-wak-ma.usa1.ne UGc        17        6
 >   tun0 localhost          localhost          UH          0       14
 >    lo0 wakma1-5           local              UH          0        0
 >    lo0
 >
 > netstat after user ppp never returns, but hangs.  Netscape and Mosaic
 > both refuse to load.

tun0 configured as localhost?  Two configuration lines for lo0?  I'm
not sure what is happening, exactly, but I know it is very bad.  ;^)

 > Any ideas of what's going on?  Please e-mail any suggestions
 > directly...

Try cleaning up the configuration as suggested above.  If that doesn't
work, e-mail me back and I'll send over my configuration, with
passwords removed.  Works every time.  ;^)

--
   Wes Peters	|
    Softweyr 	|   Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?