Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 23:03:30 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        "Daniel Mahoney, Systems Admin" <danm@firestorm2000.com>
Cc:        Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>, Al Goldstein <al@sense-gold-134.oz.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding harddisk

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 05:34:14AM -0400, Daniel Mahoney, Systems Admin wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Siegbert Baude wrote:
>
> > Hi Al,
> >
> > >I forgot to mention, Siegbert, that if I try booting these disks from ide-2,
> > >which my bios allows, the boot will start out but ultimately fails, because
> > >the root partition won't mount. Maybe the OS would have to be fooled with
> > >phoney disk number.............Al,
> >
> > Thatīs because your disk partition, where FBSD is expected to boot from,
> > has changed from ad0s?? to ad1s??. You should be able to manually change
> > this, when your boot process stops.
> > Anyone out there, who knows the place this is hard coded, to change it
> > permanently?
>
> Hope you know how to use vi.  /etc/fstab.  You're gonna want to boot into
> the installer, and use a fixit floppy, mount your root partition from
> there, and edit the fstab file.  Don't remember exactly how I did this
> when I did it, but that was the basic procedure in my case.

Got to get it sooner than that during boot. You need to specify the
device in /boot/loader.conf. Copy the defaults from
/boot/defaults/loader.conf,

  #root_disk_unit="0"             # Force the root disk unit number
  #rootdev="disk1s1a"             # Set the root filesystem

Modify them, and put it in the /boot/loader.conf. Do not edit
/boot/defaults/loader.conf.