Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 03:06:30 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        ofehr@access.ch, rv@groa.uct.ac.za, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP on Intel MG15

"Eric L. Hernes" wrote:
> Oliver Fehr writes:
> >
> >You can find the code at ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/smp.
> >
> Yikes, that stuff is really old, try this in a supfile:
>
> src-sys release=smp host=sup.FreeBSD.org hostbase=/home base=/usr
> prefix=/usr/src/smp/cvs delete old use-rel-suffix
>
> I'm running on a dual P-90 Titan-II, haven't had a panic all week!
>

> >cheers Oliver
> >

> eric.

BTW, I just updated the majordomo 'info' file for this list:
=========
FREEBSD-SMP
Tech discussion list for those involved in implementing SMP
support under FreeBSD.  Not for the casual reader, this is only
likely to be of use to the developers.

Note that this list gets some rather long commit messages!  The last few
were over 40K each.

To get the code, you need a supfile entry something like this:

src-sys release=smp host=sup.FreeBSD.org hostbase=/home base=/home/smp \
	prefix=/home/smp delete old use-rel-suffix

(I dont think the line can be broken with a backslash, make sure it's all
one long line in your supfile)

This will fetch the CVS repository files into the /home/smp directory on
your machine.

Note that sup is very inefficient on this repository as it fetches the
entire file whenever the file changes in any way.

Alternatively, you can fetch the deltas via CTM from
ftp://freefall.freebsd.org:/pub/CTM/smp-cur/*
CTM is far more efficient with network traffic and only sends CHANGES
between
file revisions, not the entire file like sup.

The other alternatives are to get cvsup, it works just like sup, but
has CTM's efficiency.  see ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/CVSup/*

Lastly, if you have an account with commit access on freefall, you can set
your CVSROOT to /home/smp.  Like the main repository, you can access it
remotely.  Once you set up rsh or ssh to your freefall account, you can
(on your local machine) set your CVSROOT to
  yourname@freefall.freebsd.org:/home/smp
and simply "cvs checkout -P sys".

If you don't know how to drive sup/ctm/cvsup and can't figure it out
from the manuals, you are probably looking at the wrong list..

As always, remember this is ALPHA-grade software.  Expect it to crash
and burn every so often.  It doesn't yet work on all MPSPEC compliant
hardware.  It's only "known" to work on older ASUS PCI/E P54NP4
dual-pentium motherboard.  Others have reported success on other hardware,
but nobody has a complete list.

Other than that, Welcome aboard!
=========

Cheers,