Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 08:51:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brad Noble <bnoble@siue.edu>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpc.lockd

>From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
>Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:59:03 -0300 (EST)
>Subject: rpc.lockd
>
>Hi,
>
>  I want to use a FreeBSD box to serve NFS to some Solaris machines,
>but I'm having problems with, I think, the absence of a rpc.lockd.
>
>  Is there a (alpha) implementation of it somewhere ?  Is it possible
>to solve this problem with another approach ?

When I upgraded from 2.1.6 to 2.2 I encountered the rpc.lockd problem
when Solaris tried to lock ~/.Maillock.  Since rpc.lockd on 2.2 is still
too alpha to work, I got around the problem by forcing Solaris to mount
FBSD as NFS v.2 instead of v.3.  My entry in the auto_home looks like:

bnoble  -rw,bg,vers=2,intr deepthought:/usr/home/bnoble

-Brad
Brad Noble                                   bnoble@ee.siue.edu
Department of Electrical Engineering         http://www.ee.siue.edu/~bnoble
Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville 618-692-2524