Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 22:53:18 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Memory init pattern

Re.
>    Oops, I meant "TI"...but now that I think about it, I don't know how long
> TI has been is business. ...but my point still stands about there being
> systems far before '78 that used start-up memory tests, however.

Texas Instruments ?
rumoured to have invented the venerable 7400 series in 1974 !

Some very big companies like British Telecom, (my ex employer _way_ back)
would be very upset not to able to continue running start up self tests
without paying royalties, they've probably been doing start up self test
since before I was born (some long time ago ;-)

BT & other large `mostly-computer-consumer' firms have plenty of lawyers,
but are probably not so cosily tucked into the big companies incestuous patent
sharing (& screw the little guy) arragements, thus if TI push too hard,
they just might disturb some powerful opposition.

I don't think we need tremble too much from TI's antisocial behaviour :-)

Julian S