Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:50:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        james.wilde@telia.com (James A Wilde)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

James A Wilde babbled:
> From: "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
> To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

> Two quickies:
>
> 1) Thanks to all who have helped with a) suggestions about ee, which
> I'll try, and b) hints on some other useful commands I can use in vi.
> My competence in vi has doubled overnight!

And it wouldn't take much to double it yet again.  Somewhere around here
I have a vi cheatsheet that I could send along if you'd find it useful.

> 2) Sorry that my messages have had no eol breaks in them.  For email
> I mostly live in the sheltered world of Windows which takes care of
> that kind of thing for you.  I will try and make sure I put in CRLF
> at appropriate places in messages to this - and other UNIX - mailing
> lists to which I subscribe.

I disagree with your view that Windows takes care of that kind of thing
for you.  I spend hours every day in Microsoft Outlook, and I can tell
you with conviction that Windows mailers that I know (cc:Mail, Outlook,
and Netscape) take care of screwing up that kind of thing for you.
They do such a good job that it's nearly impossible to send a message
that arrives unmutilated at a destination using a mailer other than the
one you used to create the message.  Outlook messages only look good to
other Outlook users; cc:Mail messages only look good to other cc:Mail
users (and then not always).  At least most UNIX mailers allow you to
send out properly formatted messages if you set them up right.

> And I don't really think vi is crap.  It's just that the only thing
> less intuitive in its natural state than vi is probably emacs. <ducks
> and moves out of the war zone> <grin>.

As a heavy (and even heavier after tomorrow's turkey) vi user, I agree
with you.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

                              E Pluribus Unix