Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:26:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
To:        hw@omni-net.de
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with ndisulator and Dell D600

+ "Hanno Welsch" <hw@omni-net.de>:

|    I have succesully installed Bills = ndisulator (Thx Bill, great
|    work) on freeBSD 5.3 on my Notebook Dell = Latitude D600 but
|    there is one problem left:
|
|    I am able to ping all the hosts in my = LAN, but I am not able to
|    ping any host in the internet.

That implies the hardware is OK, so this is not a hardware problem -
and you have posted to the wrong list.

But never mind, I'll give you some hints.
Please try a list like freebsd-questions if this is not enough.

Almost certainly it's the default route that is missing.  If you run
"netstat -r" you should see a route to default with the gateway being
whatever the gateway to the Internet is in your LAN.  If not, add one
by running "route add default gateway" as root, where you replace
"gateway" by the address of the gateway.  If your machine is always on
this network, automate this by setting default_router in
/etc/rc.conf.  Look in /etc/defaults/rc.conf for the details on this
and other variables, not to mention man rc.conf.

If you have a dhcp server on your LAN, a better option might be to run
"dhclient ndis0" instead, and to set ifconfig_ndis0="DHCP" in
/etc/rc.conf.

Hope this helps.

- Harald