Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:35:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Jason Downs <downsj@teeny.org>
Cc:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@kis.ru>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crontab security hole

[removed from -bugs]

On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Jason Downs wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.961216064624.7792B-100000@alive.ampr.ab.ca>,
> 	Marc Slemko writes:
> >
> >It was fixed in -stable the other day by pst.  The patch, pulled
> >from the CVS tree, follows.
>
> Haven't any of you ever heard of a very simple and efficient non-stdio
> routine called, of all things, strncpy()?
>
> It's been around for, like, ever.

I'm sure that many of us have.  If I was writing the patch, I would
do it probably use strncpy.  However, I think the reason why strncpy
wasn't used is because it won't null terminate the string if it is
>= the length given.  It just means an extra line of code to make
sure it is terminated, but I don't see it as being much more than
a matter of style in this context.

A few quick informal benchmarks show that strncpy is faster than
snprintf in some cases and snprintf is faster than strncpy in others.