Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:37:31 +0100
From:      "Arjan van Leeuwen" <avleeuwen@gmail.com>
To:        "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libpthread shared library version number

2006/11/3, John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>:

> > > Repeat after me: *we won't have to do it* since we don't generally
> care
> > > whether or not one have to rebuild all or some of his packages in
> > > current due to some ongoing changes.
> >
> > Doing stuff like this adds unnecessary burden to folks running HEAD.
> > The result is fewer people will track the code and less testing will be
> > done.  Unless there's a valid reason for doing it separately it seems
> > best to wait for a point where some other change goes in that requires
> > users to update their ports.
>
> The flip side of the argument is that if you have compiled stuff in
> current, you have the capabilty to do it again, so if the versions
> were bumped early enough, you only influence the apps that you have
> compiled, but keep on making it possible to run current and still
> use apps that was compiled for older versions of FreeBSD. So you
> make if possble for more people to run current even on there desktops
> and get a lot more testing milage out of current.

And I'd like to add that it makes life a lot easier for companies who
distribute binaries for FreeBSD 6.

We obviously can't start supplying binaries for -CURRENT, so it would be
nice if it would at least be possible (maybe with some effort, but that is
besides the point) to run the 6-STABLE binaries on -CURRENT, so that the
important developers and early adopters who run -CURRENT can use our
software.

Arjan van Leeuwen
Opera Software ASA