Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:14:13 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        veith@bigfoot.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing packages from DOS slice

In a previous message, Stefan said:
> Hi,
>
> I do not know if this question is a FAQ but I did not find it anywhere:
> How can I install the packages (like fvwm, emacs, ...) from the FreeBSD
> CD via DOS slice to FreeBSD (do not tell me I can use my CD-ROM under
> FreeBSD as well, no one of you could help me :-( )? When I just copy the
> tar balls and the "index"-file to a directory called
> "\freebsd\packages", the installation programme tells me that there is
> no index file.

All you need to do is copy the tar balls (*.tgz) that you want to the
DOS slice, then boot freebsd, and copy them to freebsd and do a
pkg_add filename.tgz. The only problem is the 8.3 limit on DOS might
change the name of the file. Be sure it ends in tgz.

Sorry to here about the CD-Rom. I would offer to help, but I use SCSI
and so don't run into strange problems.

--
Don't give me no Buick. Son, you must take my word.
If there's a God up in Heaven, he drives a Silver Thunderbird.