Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:53:13 +0100
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/46863: tin newsreader improperly deals with charsets

On 2003-01-08 15:33:57 (+0300), Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru> wrote:
> 	When using tin newsreader from ports collection for reading national
> 	newsgroups you're finishing soon with messages full of question marks
> 	because tin was configured for strict MM_CHARSET obeyance.

Tin now uses iconv, and can be configured to 'translate' to a proper charset
when one is not given.  In your ~/.tin/attributes file, you could put
something like:

  scope=*
  undeclared_charset=iso-8859-1

> 	Just add --disable-mime-strict-charset to configure options, as follows:

Mmm, perhaps adding a conditional for that would be better:

.if defined(WITHOUT_TIN_STRICT_CHARSET)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--disable-mime-strict-charset
.endif

In any case, over here, iconv deals with charsets quite nicely.  Nicer than
the disable-mime-strict-charset switch, I find :-)

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                          Please don't CC me, I am
philip@paeps.cx                                       subscribed to the list.

  Law expands in proportion to the resources available
  for its enforcement.