Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 10:54:03 +0700 (ICT)
From:      pirat sriyotha <pirat@prime.oaep.go.th>
To:        simon mendoza <simon_v_mendoza@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Tim Parkinson <tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Horrible things, NIC's

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, simon mendoza wrote:

> ---pirat sriyotha <pirat@oaep.go.th> wrote:
> >

> > hi,
> >
> > from my failure books,  you must know what the factory setting of
> port number
> > and interrupt number of your NE2000 card.  you have to know, to get
> them by any
> > means. then boot -cv  and setting ed0 ( or ed1) to those two numbers.
> >
> > sure you have to edit /etc/rc.conf to set things up correctly before
> > shutdown -r now.  and hit dash see we, -cv, at boot prompt, boot:
> >
> > rgds,
> > psr
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 12:51:05PM +0100, Tim Parkinson wrote:
> > > Harumph,
> > >
> > > I just went out and bought a shiny new NE2000 compatible (read:
> cheap) to go
> > > alongside the one in my FreeBSD gateway, and replace the 3Com
> 3c509 that had
> > > been giving a bit of jip recently.  I rolled up a nice new kernel,
> changed
> > > the startup stuff in /etc/rc.conf and rebooted -Aaaagh, complete
> spasms.
> > > Ifconfig refused to add the IP addresses and various other scary
> problems
> > > related to that.  Finally, I have ifconfig adding the IP's but
> still the
> > > *naughty word-ing* thing is having problems.   Grrr, I'm not happy.
> > >
> > > Note, this isn't a question.  I just wanted to vent a little
> frustration at
> > > being a newbie and not being able to work out what is wrong!
> > >
> > > Still, I guess this is the best way to learn, have something fall
> over and
> > > have to get your hands dirty and fix it.
> > > :(
> > > Tim Parkinson -Teaching Company Associate
> > > Nottingham Trent University & Clerical Gas Ltd
> > > Tel: 0115 9783677 Fax: 0115 9706977
> > > tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk
> > > tim@gubbins.ml.org -Home
> > >

> >From experience on installing net (ne2000 compatible) cards I will
> suggest booting from any msdos bootable diskette ( ver 5.0 or above)
> and run the ezset.exe or config.exe setup program and select the
> "display card configuration" so you will know the preset factory
> setup. It usually gives you the IRQ 3 and Port address 0300-031F.
>
>  Unfourtunately the diskettes that come with these net cards come with
> dos configuration programs. Some day the same information willcome in
> handy for us FreeBSD users.

this is really a very good news.
today, i have to keep that floppy disk, dos edition, like a valuable
treasure.  as i know, there is no way to set a hardware port and irq
number for ne2000 compatible from within freebsd-2.2.6.

if one could get and set the same information from freebsd, that is good
news.  thanks to freebsd teams.

rgds,
psr