Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 22:44:10 +0300
From:      Fadi Sodah <sodah@qatar.net.qa>
To:        gregm@netidea.com
Cc:        Greg Campbell <greg.campbell@matrikon.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: socket communication

gregm@netidea.com wrote:

> I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think port number
> 2000 is guaranteed to fail. Try with a different port number.
> Regards,
> Greg Martin.
> gregm@netidea.com

Ports between 1 and IPPORT_RESERVED (defined in
/usr/include/netinet/in.h)
are reserved for system use, you must be root to create a server to bind
to these ports.

you  can check out the file /usr/include/netinet/in.h

0 - 1023	Well Known Ports
1024 - 49151 	Registered  Ports
49152 - 65535 	Dynamic and/or Private Ports

-Pons