Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 03:28:05 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP sequence numbers: RFC1948 patch ready for testing

I have a few comments :)

1.  Rekeying is completely unnecessary - talking of brute-forcing
the MD5 of a 32-byte random secret is fantasy, for the forseeable future.
Similarly, isn_offset adds nothing real to security.

2.  By rekeying you risk violating the monotonicity of the isn across
the rekeying, which is the whole point of not just doing random isn.

3.  Unless I'm confused, hz is typically 100 or 1000, meaning that the
signed-32 tick counters you're relying on to trigger rekeying will
flip sign and overflow within the typical uptime of a server.  You
risk having the test fail for a long time, if isn_reseed_time is a
large positive and ticks has become negative before you get to test it.
Of course that's no loss, imo.

4.  As a nit, if you're going to do the rekeying check, do it only when
you're actually going to do the md5 work, not before the test that
may return arc4random.

5.  You seem to have ignored 1948's advice to include some configurable
secret in the hash - are we really sure that read_random gives good
bits right after reboot?

Regards,
Barney Wolff