Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:08:08 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Anthony Green <green@redhat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

> > are there any overview on how many would be interested in doing a
> > opensource jvm? and perhaps something that needs to be done?
>
> Rather than start work on a new opensource jvm, why not help out on one
> of the existing opensource jvms.

In case anyone is thinking of doing this, realize that *IF* you've
downloaded the Sun JDK (to build the port), you may not be in a good
legal position to work on GCJ, since you've had access to Sun's source
code.

> In the short term, right now we're preparing for the GCC 3.1 release
> (gcj is part of GCC).  FreeBSD is one of the platforms giving us a
> little trouble right now. See...
> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/gcj-3.1-status.html
> We could use help looking into the test failures on x86 FreeBSD, and
> perhaps even trying builds on currently untested platforms.

Unfortunately, some folks who are capable of helping have legal
entanglements due to Sun licensing that prevents them from helping. :(

Nate