Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:42:03 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr, dhw@whistle.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, meyerd1@fang.cs.sunyit.edu
Subject:   Re: NIS with HPUX 10.20

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 02:12:10PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:41:46 +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:

> > So that ld-elf.so.1 can be installed safely on an active system.

> I assume I should take your "installed safely" to mean "not installed"?

It is not installed because the binaries are identical (and install -C copies
to a temporary file (say ld-elf.so.1.tmp), and compares to ld-elf.so.1.  Then
it compares and either deletes ld-elf.so.1.tmp or renames it over top of
ld-elf.so.1).  It does update the 'ctime' entry of ld-elf.so.1, so using
'find /usr \! -ctime 1 -print' right after make world will find all the "old"
files.              (^ this is how many days ago you made world, rounded up)
If it were installed normally, it would first delete ld-elf.so.1, then copy
the new one into place (with mode 000 while the copy takes place).  This is
VERY bad in a running system.

The 'find' works better if /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 are symlinks, or set the
option to not recurse into those directories.  And, 'perl' has to be checked
manually.

> Are there a lot of files that aren't installed for similar reasons
> during an installworld? If there are, I'd be interested in hearing about
> them so that I can update them manually.

Yes, in:

/usr/include      <- this falls to 'find -ctime'.
/usr/libdata/perl <- you are better off ignoring "old" files in here.

The dates on symlinks aren't changed.  There are a few files in /usr/share
that are "local" files and are never updated.  There may be more, but these
are pointed out by the 'find' above.

--
Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net> / Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>