Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:31:43 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        David Hawkins <dhawk@river.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'make world' clobber /etc? DES?

> 1. will 'make world' overwrite my existing /etc -- I'd hate to lose my
> password file, for example. Or does 'make world' just do binaries?

Make world will not touch your /etc.  This means that it's also more
than possible to get it *waaaay* out of date with the new startup
mechanisms expected by whatever you're upgrading to, so be sure and
very carefully merge all of this by hand.  It's not fun, but it's
gotta be done.  And no, don't ask me for a list of files - you'll have
to sort of intuit that for yourself based on what you've changed
locally. :-)

> 2. I want to make sure I'm still using DES after the upgrade. I have a
> DES password file because I upgraded from Linux originally.

Then make sure that you have /usr/src/secure and that you build from
it (I believe it's pulled in automagically if it exists, but I haven't
checked).

					Jordan