Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 23:13:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, phk@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc/mtree BSD.usr.dist

> > > need them or even wanted them to be available.
> >
> > Here's why I complain and scream about PERL in FreeBSD.
> >
> > FreeBSD, true to it's UNIX heritage, is a tools-based OS.
> >
> > PERL is a tool (fine so far).
> >
> > PERL scripts are not tools (the kicker).
>
> That's just stupid.  Perl scripts _can_ be tools.  Some may be, some
> may not be, depending on your point of view.

Well, not putting PERL in the base distribution would prevent
the non-tool Perl scripts from becoming part of the base
distribution.

I'm open to other suggestions that achieve the same effect without
throwing the baby out with the bath water... but I still think
the bathwater needs to go.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---