Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:42:37 +0200
From:      Martin Sommerhein <pms2-freebsd@sommerhein.com>
To:        Alexey Karguine <bm@netmaster.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Command 'w' gives no user output

Alexey Karguine <bm@netmaster.ru> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 18:33:37 +0200 Martin Sommerhein <pms2-freebsd@sommerhein.com> wrote:
>
> > $ w
> >  6:29pm  up  9:41, 0 users, load averages: 0,01 0,02 0,00
> > USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
>
> > This is on a recently upgraded 4.10-STABLE machine.  Just after the
> > upgrade the command worked fine, but today it suddenly started to give
> > no user output.  Anyone have any clue of what the cause may be and how
> > to fix it?
>
> > Or do I have a cracker on my system?
>
> > The other recently upgraded 4.10-STABLE machines work fine (same make
> > world).
>  Are you sure, that the version of kernel and the version jf the world
>  are the same?
>
>  Try to run 'uname -a' and see at result.

It gives ... 4.10-STABLE FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #0: Sun Jun 20 23:30:46
CEST 2004...

There is no difference in output for root and ordinary users.  Maybe the
simplest is to just do another make world cycle and see if that helps.
I have checked and the w program on the other machines are exactly the
same.  I even copied one over and ran that, but same problem.  An md5
message digest gives:

$ md5 /usr/bin/w
MD5 (/usr/bin/w) = 4896e7d129e3d5c4eb26000ab9be68aa

Thanks,
Martin