Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:29:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Buf, Wired and Inact memory

I' asking here because I don't think the top an page is discriptive neough
for people who 'just don't get it' ;)

I understand that Inact memory is memory that has been requested by
processes but not in use. Is this correct?

I don't understand however, what Buf and Wired memory is used for. How
many I free some of this up for use by my other processes?

The top of my Top output looks like:
66 processes:  2 running, 64 sleeping
CPU states:  1.5% user,  0.0% nice,  1.5% system,  0.0% interrupt, 96.9% idle
Mem: 49M Active, 37M Inact, 27M Wired, 6000K Cache, 22M Buf, 5448K Free
Swap: 256M Total, 5920K Used, 250M Free, 2% Inuse

Yeah it's a fairly idle system but has a few stability issues which I
think as disk related.
It's running qmail, djbdns (may switch to bind but i know that would use
more memory), apache 2, and some user apps like pine, irssi, screen, etc.

Any advice on optimizin memory usage would be really appreciated. It's
only a little P166 with 128Mb :-)