Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 10:43:12 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rv@groa.uct.ac.za (Russell Vincent)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, current@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Large RAM on ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D

> Joe Greco wrote (about the ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D):
> > I can't get anything more than 192MB to work reliably on this board
> > (6 x 32MB SIMM modules) - unless we go with the mega mondo $$$$ 64MB
> > SIMM's..  and even those I have doubts about.  We put the 4 that we
> > have on a P/I-P55T2P4 board and it refused to work until we relaxed
> > the RAM timing to 70ns.  Gives me a sick feeling.
>
> Seems I may be encountering this problem on some of my 5 machines
> with 256MB, after all. Our supplier has just pointed me to pages 12-33 of:
>
>    http://www.intel.com/design/pcisets/datashts/inte2.htm
>
> (which I am struggling to download on our poor international link).

You are really looking for the data on MAD...

3.2.13.	DRAMEC - DRAM EXTENDED CONTROL REGISTER

Address Offset:	56h
Default Value:	00h
Access:		Read/Write

This 8-bit register contains additional controls for main memory DRAM
operating modes and features.

[...]

Bit				Descriptions

2:1	Memory Address Drive Strength (MAD): This field controls the
	strength of the output buffers driving the MA and MWE# pins.

		Bit 2	Bit 1	MAA[1:0]/MAB[1:0]	MA[11:2]/MWE#
		  0	  0		8 mA			8mA
		  0	  1		8 mA			12mA
		  1	  0		12 mA			8mA
		  1	  1		12 mA			12mA

What is this?  Well..

2.2.	DRAM Interface

Name		Type		Description

MA[11:2]	O	Memory Address: This is the row and column address
		3V	for DRAM.  These buffers include programmable size
			selection.

MAA[1:0]	O	Memory Address Copy A: One copy of the MAs that
		3V	change during a burst read or write of DRAM.
			These buffers include programmable size selection.

MAB[1:0]	O	Memory Address Copy B: A second copy of the MAs
		3V	that change during a burst read or write of DRAM.
			These buffers include programmable size selection.

MWE#		O	Memory Write Enable.  MWE# should be used as the
		3V	write enable for the memory data bus.  This signal
			has a programmable size selection (see DRAMEC[MAD]
			field).

> Apparently this document describes a method for increasing the
> current flow to DRAM (programatically) because as you put more
> chips into an Intel 430HX motherboard (probably any motherboard), the
> current flow drops, moving the trigger level (I had a nice little
> diagram drawn for me which would be tricky to duplicate here  :-) ).
> This makes some sense to me (even with my poor technical knowledge)
> as the 4x64MB chips we are using are quite large. Reducing the DRAM
> timing to 70ns will also help, although, as you say, isn't suitable.
>
> If anyone does add some code for this, I would be most interested in
> testing it. I will try myself (when I can get the datasheet), but
> my programming skills are not good, so don't rely on me.  :-)

If I knew jack diddly about how to do this, I would.

Failing that, I am providing this data in the hopes that some more
enterprising hacker who has a clue about this sort of stuff can figure
it out.

However, it really seems to me like this should be a BIOS configuration
option, because by the time you are loading a UNIX kernel it may already
be too late to try to adjust these settings.

Therefore I am cc:'ing this to ASUS Tech Support as well..  I would love
to see this added as an option to all Triton-II motherboard BIOS'es.

It is clearly an unusual problem, you don't see it until you have LOTS of
memory.  :-(

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968