Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:09:24 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel ICH5R Raid support

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 02:19:31PM -0500, Gary D. Margiotta wrote:
> All,
>=20
> A quick search of the archives didn't get me the straight answer (althoug=
h=20
> I admit I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking).
>=20
> I'm looking at getting a Supermicro pre-built server, and the motheboard=
=20
> is a Supermicro P4SCE, with an Intel ICH5R chipset.  The board has onboar=
d=20
> SATA controllers, capable of RAID 0/1 support through the BIOS (yes, I=20
> realize this is software raid, I'm OK with that for this use).  Just=20
> wondering if the ICH5R sata RAID is supported by 6.0 (or 6.1 if it's=20
> released by the time I get this all done).  I'd rather not have to go=20
> through the hoops using ataraid, I'd rather just set it up in the BIOS if=
=20
> there's support for it natively.
>=20
> I'll search some more, but if someone has an answer, it'd be appreciated.
>=20

The pure SATA functionality and metadata read support for Intel MatrixRAID
(which the ICH5R uses) are supported from 6.0-RELEASE onwards.  6.1-RELEASE
will introduce write support for Intel metadata.  See ataraid(4) for
for details about read/write support.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R

--kXdP64Ggrk/fb43R--