Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:56:39 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
Cc:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: top/systat

I'm probably going to make an ass out of myself¸ which has certainly
happened before. Still, a disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking
about. Take everything I say with the whole canister of salt.

As I understand it, a symbol describes the relative entry point of a
function in a given block of code, so that programs know where to find
the functions they are looking for. Without symbols, programs have no
idea where to find functions in other programs.

By removing the kernel's symbols, you are saving some space.
However, you are also cutting away anything that isn't absolutely
essential to running the system.

When you try to run top, it looks for the symbol that represents nlist,
and when it can't find it, it doesn't know where to find the nlist
kernel function. I'm guessing nlist has something to do with a process
list... hence, when top can't find nlist, it throws a fit.

Please let me know how wrong or simplistic this understanding is... Now
I'm curious, too!

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx