Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:58:43 +0530
From:      A Joseph Koshy <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Floppy trouble contd.

gl> most expensive per byte.  But I'm getting the feeling that there is
gl> more to it than that, that possibly there's a bug in the floppy driver
gl> and that we're blaming it on the inherent unreliability of the medium.

gl> 1.  Floppy formatted under <insert your OS here> on the same machine.
gl> 2.  FreeBSD runs into hardware problems with the floppy (typically
gl>     things like checksum errors).
gl> 3.  <insert your OS here> can read the entire floppy with no trouble.

I've seen (1), (2), and (3).  After a (2), doing a format using the freebsd
tools sometimes helps, but see below.

I've also seen that formatting 3-4 times under FreeBSD (fdwrite or fdformat)
causes the floppy to become unuseable, even under DOS.

I've seen these on just too many floppies, new, used, of various brands,
to dismiss it as due to the unreliability of the medium.

Koshy
<koshy@india.hp.com>			My Personal Opinions Only.