Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 17:34:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Follow-up to FreeBSD documentation team status report.

John wrote:
> Too bad apache doesn't use syslog, then rotation would be a snap.
> We would just have to sed off the beginnings of lines before
> feeding the logs to stats software.  Hm... anyone want to look
> into this possibility?

Easy enough to modify. We'll just replace the fprint()s with syslog()
calls. But is it truly necessary ? I don't see how it would be sub-
stantially different than how the logging is done right now. Call me
slow. =-)

Also, which stats software are you referring to ?

> Yes, waisq crashes on a regular basis, but to date, I have not
> been able to personally reproduce this on demand!  Unfortunately
> the crash times are not logged so I can't easily correlate the
> crashes with the web log files to see what queries were involved.

Fortunately death due to signals are logged for us automagically...
for instance:

| Dec  5 01:13:45 freefall /kernel: pid 25242 (waisq), uid 32767: exited...
| Dec  5 23:31:15 freefall /kernel: pid 26444 (waisq), uid 32767: exited...
| Dec  5 23:31:15 freefall /kernel: pid 1008 (waisq), uid 32767: exited...

Strangely enough I can't find any waisq entries since December 5, or
any messages whatsoever since the 9th -- not even those annoying ones
from popper. Anyone know why there aren't any entries since the last
reboot ?

It's now:

Sat Dec 14 16:29:02 PST 1996

Yet we have:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  bin  0 Dec 14 03:30 messages

I can't believe there's really zero messages in over 12 hours. =-)

Regards,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;