Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:54:39 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pgbench performance is lagging compared to Linux and DragonflyBSD?

On Nov 6, 2012, at 1:26 AM, Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>=
 wrote:

>> defaults) is sysctl/tunable variables set in the *BSD OSes (on DFly,
>> FreeBSD, and NetBSD). Unfortunately (based on my experience) FreeBSD coul=
>> be a lot better when it comes to defaults, and more tuning is required to=

>=20
> actually FreeBSD defaults are actually good for COMMON usage. and can be t=
uned.
>=20
> default MAXBSIZE is one exception.

"Common usage" is vague. While FreeBSD might do ok for some applications (de=
v box, simple workstation/laptop, etc), there are other areas that require a=
dditional tuning to get better perf that arguably shouldn't as much (or ther=
e should be templates for doing so): 10GbE and mbuf and network tuning; file=
 server and file descriptor, network tuning, etc; low latency desktop and sc=
heduler tweaking; etc.

Not to say that freebsd is entirely at fault, but because it's more of a com=
modity OS that Linux, more tweaking is required...

Thanks,
-Garrett=