Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:13:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Frank Durda IV <uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com>
Cc:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Theory Failed: screen vs keyboard lock-up

On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, Frank Durda IV wrote:

> [2]As Frank Durda IV wrote:
> [2]
> [2]You could effectively cause the lockup to happen by rapidly changing
> [2]between screens that had updates occuring on them, such as "ls -alR /"
> [2]on a couple of screens, then toggle between them.
>
> [3]joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de sayeth:
> [3]That appears to be the "set LEDs" lockup (collision between input and
> [3]output data streams on the serial keyboard line).  The originator of
> [3]this problem report however experienced a lockup while _nothing_ was
> [3]going (during the night).
>
> Uh, then why did the originator say this in the mail I responded to:
>
> [1]I can't tell you what's causing it but I've got similar symptoms
> [1]since the beginnings.  Right now I'm running 2.1.0-SNAP-9507?? and
> [1]it still happens every now and then.  The only thing I noticed is
> [1]that it always happens when I switch screens during disk activity.
>            **********************************************************
> [1]Also note that during a lockup I'm able to login on a serial line
> [1]and everything works OK*.  It's only the console input which is lost
> [1]until I reboot the machine.
>
> Dunno, it sure sounds like we are talking about the same symptoms to me.

	Wait...that isn't *my* report, I'm safe here.  I'm running 2.2-current,
not 2.1.0-SNAP...*whew*

	And that wasn't the originator...I am...notice that [1] above states
that "I've got similar..."...which tends to imply he's responding to someone
else's posting :)

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc