Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:09:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, FreeBSD-SCSI@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcement:  New DPT RAID Controller Driver Available

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> Hi Tom Samplonius;  On 17-Jun-97 you wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> > > The driver supports the PM3334{U,W,D} which is a PCI controller
> > > sporting a 68030 processor, up to 3 SCSI ultra-wide-differential
> > > busses.  It is also available (I think) as narrow, non-ultra and
> > > definitely single-ended.
> >
> >   www.dpt.com says this controller has a 40mhz 68040 ??
>
> I know it is an abomination to have a Motorola processor in a computer
> dominated by the holy Intel processor.  But, in case you can stomach the
> idea for a while, it actually works well.

  Nope, the point was making was that you say the board has a 68030, while
www.dtp.com says it is a 68040.  The 68040 has quite a bit more kick than
a 68030.  That's a good thing.

  The 68000 series was always a good line.  Plenty of integrated devices
use them.

> Those of you who insist that their computer is maintained purely Intel will
> be glad to know that (as I am told), the next generation will have an i960
> instead.

  The i960 is not necessarily better.  Especially, not the gutless 20mhz
version.

  DPT might be better off with the 68060, as long as the price is right.

> find the support, the configuration utilities (in native mode!), the
> perfomance and the complete integration (You will get a beep, console
> output, syslog, SNMP event and a can of diet soda whacked on the head every
> time:

> b.  Fan failure in the disk enclosure
> c.  Power supply failure

  How does this work?  Do you need to buy DPT enclosures for this?

  I don't have a DPT enclosure :(, and it doesn't seem that DPT makes rack
mount enclosures.

> If you have a spare disk plugged in, you will also get aotomatic re-build
> of the array.  Oh, did iI mention all power supplies are redundant and all
> disks are hot pluggable without any software intervention?

  Again these all sound like features in the hardware module?

  I just use standard hot-swap modules (Dataport VI).  FreeBSD gets mighty
confused when you pull a drive while it is running, but the modules are
mighty handle for any kind of field replacement.

  Are power supplies a big deal these days?  I've never had a good PS2
supply die, but have had 4 drives die, all in last three years.

Tom