Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:20:22 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
To:        Darshan Sharma <thedarshansharma@gmail.com>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSOC Project - "Replace mergesort implementation"

Hi Darshan,

> After going through all the projects I find that I can do - "Replacement of merge sort".

Nice!

When working on this, be sure to experiment with Block Sort / Grail Sort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_sort
https://github.com/Mrrl/GrailSort

Basically it's a version of merge sort that uses an in-place list
merging algorithm. This means that end up with a sorting algorithm
that doesn't need to allocate any memory, but has the advantage over
qsort() that it's stable and has a worst-case running time of O(n log
n). That said, I don't know how expensive the in-place list merging
is.

--
Ed Schouten <ed@nuxi.nl>
Nuxi, 's-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands