Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:21:52
From:      David Goddard <d.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp -auto problems and boot-time error messages

Hi,

I'm having a problem with ppp -auto and also a couple of odd boot-time
error messages - I suspect there may be a connection.  Maybe.

Firstly, the odd messages are:

  writing to routing socket: File exists
  add net default: gateway 155.198.8.0: File exists

These appear just after ppp -auto is started up - I have the default router
set in sysconfig to the above IP address.

What file is this?  I can't seem to find anything that could be the
cause, nor any reference.

I've been running ppp -auto successfully for a while, but it's recently
started playing up.  The problem is that the process that causes the ppp
link to be brought up doesn't seem to recognise that it's up and
eventually times out.  The link itself comes up OK, as I can use it fine
with other processes.

I've recently been fiddling with filters and the problem surfaced at
about the same time as this, but I've removed my filter references from
ppp.conf.  The ppp show ifilter, dfilter etc. commmands tell me there are
no filters.

I've also rebuilt my kernel since the ppp problem started, but before I
noticed the boot messages, if this is relevant.

As an aside, last Saturday I ordered Greg Lehey's FreeBSD book from
Walnut Creek and it arrived here in the UK yesterday.  Needless to say I
was impressed by the turnaround time.  Shame it doesn't have anything on
networking though :-(

Another aside - I got the FreeBSD News newsletter with the book - a good
bit of PR, I thought.  It doesn't say anywhere on it what was used to
produce it - was it done with FreeBSD or did they resort to a Mac or
something? :-) (not very relevant to questions@ though I guess...)

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.

Dave