Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:10:03 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, jlemon@americantv.com
Subject:   Re: switch vs bridge (fwd)

>In article <local.mail.freebsd-net/36F95545.6B1F40C0@softweyr.com> you write:
>>In other words, there isn't a whole lot of difference unless you step
>>up to layer three switches.
>>
>>These definitions taken from "The Switching Book II", from Xylan Corp.
>>Download a PDF version or order your own free printed copy at:
>>
>>	http://www.xylan.com/library/switchbook/index.html
>
>So where's the definition for layer-four switches?  (What the heck
>is a layer 4 switch anyway?)

Layer 4 switching is a marketing term used by those who don't have
the money or technical ability to implement REAL QoS (Quality of
Service) in their switches.  ;^)

The idea behind layer 4 switching is to look into the packet contents
and be able to do semi-intelligent things based on that information,
like directing HTTP streams to multiple servers.  It's great for those
few instances where you really need that, like high-volume web servers,
and a complete boondoggle for most of the networking world.  But it
sounds good, doesn't it?  If layer 2 switching is good, and layer 3
switching is great, then layer 4 switching must be like getting laid
while eating your favorite ice cream, right?

Sorry, I'm in a nasty mood right now, and using an unfamiliar mailer
to boot.  I'll be nice again tomorrow.

    -- Wes