Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:00:52 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: P5 vs. P6 performance

>> I'm looking at buying either a dual CPU Pentium motherboard and
>> initially populating it with a single Pentium-200 MHz, and then adding the
>> second Pentium-200 MHz a few months later, OR buying a single Pentium-Pro 200
>> MHz motherboard.  What can I expect for relative performance for each
>> system, assuming that each one has, for example 64 MB memory?  If this
>> is an overpowered home system with only occasional periods of
>> sustained computation, would I need more that 64 MB?

I have 64MB now.  With memory so cheap, it makes a *perfect* system.
I never ever push anything out to swap. :-)  It's really overkill for
my home system -- 32MB was working nicely.  But, once again, if memory
is so cheap, why not...

>> For example, on a lightly loaded system, how much faster is the
>> Pentium Pro?  Which system (dual P5 vs. 1 P6) would be faster at
>> compiling all of FreeBSD from scratch?

My experience shows that a P6-200 (256K cache) is roughly 2.5 times
faster than a P5-120.  Remember also that a P5-200 is *not* 200/120
faster than a P5-120.  The P5-200 is reaching bus saturation levels,
and supposedly is barely faster than a P5-166.  I would suspect that
putting two of them in there would only make matters worse, unless you
had some really exceptionally designed, and BIG, motherboard caches.

This is NetBSD-1.2, but the times are similar to FreeBSD.  I can do a
make world, from a virgin tree to finished, in 1 hour 21 minutes on a
P6-200 w/64MB, an Adaptec 2940UW, and some decent SCSI drives.  It
takes ~3:15 on my P5-200 (single processor) 2/64MB, 512K PB cache,
same SCSI controller and drives.

>right now the single P6 would be faster than 2 P5s.  How much longer that will
>be true I'm not sure, things are progressing nicely in the SMP kernel.

I would suspect that dual P5s would only be slightly faster than a
decent P6 system.  That is pure speculation, though.

>2 P5-200 might suffer from serious bus congestion.  If you can afford it
>go for a dual P6 with one CPU for now, then add the second CPU when
>finances permit.

This would definitely be the best advice for performance reasons.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net