Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 1997 22:07:30 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: T1 upgrade options?

Cliff Addy wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.95q.970709154013.1503B-100000@federation.addy.com>:
> On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > small office (like mine), a dedicated PC works *much* better than a
> > CISCO ever would, and total costs (including hardware, maintenance,
> > etc..) are significantly lower.
>
> I don't buy this at all.  A Cisco 2501 is only ~$1700 and requires *zero*
> maintenance once it's set up.  For a typical setup, that takes about 10
> minutes.  If you build a machine yourself, using reliable, quality parts,
> you're lucky if you save $500 under that.  And then you're worrying about
> hard drive crashes, config changes, OS security holes, etc.

I have to agree

The network I presently run has 10 ciscos of varying types (mostly
2501s) in it. I have seen *ONE* of them crash once in the past
year. And it recovered immediately and our network paging software
didn't even have time to notice anythink amiss (it only checks every 5
minutes).

For a RELIABLE connection, nothing can beat a Cisco ... no hard drive
to worry about, no filesystems to worry about failing a fsck on
reboot, and pretty amazing stability under direct attacks.

If you want reliability, go with a machine that is designed to run
24/7, not a machine that was originally designed to run Windows 9 to
5.

Gary