Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:56:58 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@tormail.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] [bsd.port.mk] ports ccache build support

On 08/05/2012 19:47, Jan Beich wrote:
> Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
>> The cache directory CCACHE_DIR defaults to /usr/obj/ccache
>
> Why not ${.OBJDIR}/ccache? This avoids one big port taking away all
> allocated space for itself unless --max-size is raised.
>
> Also, I have /usr/obj -> /nonexistent symlink. Anything that doesn't
> respect MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is bogus.

Bryan's proposal is for ports. /usr/obj is for things in the base.

The equivalent to MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in ports is WRKDIRPREFIX, but IMO the
ccache cache should be independent of either.

Personally I don't see why we would want to change the defaults here at
all. There are 2 possibilities ... either the user has customized the
location, in which case we shouldn't mess with it. Or, they haven't, in
which case if the regular default for the port is good, it should be
used. If it isn't, it should be fixed for all users.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what