Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 18:16:35 -0400
From:      Tod Luginbuhl <tod@science-guy.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>
To:        Stefan Veith <stefan.veith@mail.online-club.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TeX: printing .dvi files

Stefan Veith wrote...

>I have got one question: I want to write (and finally print) something with
>TeX - so I edited a text file and compiled it with LaTeX without any
>problems. But when I want to edit the .dvi file (either in xdvi or in
>ghostview) I always get error messages! I installed both programs via the
>ports collection (so there should not be any wrong settings) and if a .tex
>file is "compiled" to a .dvi file, there should not be any error either.

[SNIP]

you need to set the protection on the pk directory
(/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/pk or /usr/local/lib/texmf/fonts/pk) to
allow anyone to write to it.  My guess is that MakeTeXPK is writing
your need fonts to /tmp and xdvi and/or dvips are looking in for the
pk files in one of the two directories above.

Tod

Tod Luginbuhl                         email:  t.e.luginbuhl@ieee.org
Code 2121                                     luginbuhl@npt.nuwc.navy.mil
Naval Undersea Warfare Center
1176 Howell Street                    Telephone: (401) 841-7505 x38241
Newport, Rhode Island                 FAX:       (401) 841-7453
USA

"Don't argue with drunks and fanatics!" -- Sun Wolf (Barbara Hambly)