Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:18:28 -0500
From:      "Roland Wells" <freebsd@thebeatbox.org>
To:        <putnam@speakeasy.net>, "'Unix Help'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Is this Ok

I am not sure what to make out of the info scrolling on my screen. I
installed bsd and wanted to install all the ports to sort through them
latter and remove any once I got a look at them, so from root I typed

cd /usr/ports
make install

-------------------------

Doing the above will attempt to download, make and install every port in
the ports collection...(if I am not mistaken.)

The ports collection is a collection of over 10,000 applications, you
probably do not want to install them all!!

So, if you would like to install a specific port, change to that
directory and then do make install, ie, if I would like to install the
apache 1.3 webserver:

# cd /usr/ports/www/apache13
# make install clean

This will download the sources, compile and install the apache webserver
(as well as any dependencies that I do not already have.)

As far as looking for specific ports, use the webpage:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

Or on your box:

# cd /usr/ports
# make search name=3Dinsert_name_of_port_here
Or
# make search key=3Dinsert_port_keyword_here

As a general point, the handbook on freebsd.org is an invaluable
resource for people new to FreeBSD (like me) and covers most things you
will run into.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Good luck,

Roland Wells