Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 20:46:09 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Scott Johnson <scott@dsuper.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dec <tru64-unix-managers@ornl.gov>
Subject:   Re: NFS problems.

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 09:18:01PM -0400, Scott Johnson wrote:
> Hi All,
>

>     I have a little bit of a cross platform problem. I have two DEC alpha 1000 running DU 4.0e/f. I'm temperarily using a FreeBSD 4.0 server as an NFS server for the users directory's. But I can't get the owership of the directories and files to work. Because the staff are FTPing into the Alpha's the files don't have the correct owners on them.
>
> I have the following entries in the exports file on the FreeBSD server:
>
> /home/pytha        -mapall 201.25.215.1
> /home/pytha        -mapall 201.25.215.53
>
> If any one has gotten this to work or has any idea's on how to fix this, thanks in advance.

First of all, try hitting 'enter' from time to time. Your paragraphs
are all on one line.

Now, '-mapall' needs an argument, e.g.

  /home/pytha -mapall=nobody 201.25.215.1

Maps all users to 'nobody.' Not sure what a null entry does. Surprised
mountd accepts it.

How are users logging in to the Alpha? You need uid numbers to map
identically between the FreeBSD NFS server and Alpha ftp server for
things to go smoothly.