Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:23:59 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        sean@chittenden.org
Subject:   jabberd fails to load

Hi there gents

just noticed a bug in the jabberd.sh startup script -
by default, jabber needs libpth.so.14, which lives
in /usr/local/lib/pth

Trouble is, this isn't in the library path.

If you install the port, and it installs pth as a dependency, the
'make install' target  will run ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/pth
after installing libpth, so jabber boots after you install it,
but this doesn't survive a reboot.

Two possible fixes spring to mind:

1] have the pth port do the kde / mysql trick,
creating a 000.pthlibs.sh that runs
ldconfig -m ${PREFIX}/lib/pth

(which personally I think is a bit clanky)

or

2] add a line to jabberd.sh
(just after checking the PREFIX)
that calls
ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/pth

I'm mailing the jabber port maintainer too since he might want to put in a
workaround, and there doesn't seem to be a maintainer for devel/pth.

Happy to send-pr, but since this is a design decision, I'd rather get some
feedback first...

Cheers!

--
A well adjusted person is one who makes the same mistake twice without
getting nervous.